Model A Youth Restoration Award – MAYRA
Amy Rozny, Youth Coordinator had the honor of announcing the recipients of the 2018 Model A Youth Restoration Award (MAYRA) at the National Meet in Branson. Many of the Regions that made the award possible were present to hear who received an award and the type of Model A being restored.
The guiding philosophy of MAYRA is that the future of the hobby rests with instilling an interest and love for the Model A in youth. Once that interest takes hold, the youth is more likely to stick with the hobby or rekindle the interest in the hobby at a later point in life. And being successful in the restoration often depends on finances and that is MAYRA helps.
Twenty-three years ago, the Model A Youth Restoration Award made its first award of $500 to a young member of the Dallas Model A Ford Club. This year at the MAFCA National Convention, MAYRA made its 81st award to a youth who is restoring her Model A. Nine recipients each received $2,200 in financial assistance. MAYRA was able to make these awards through the generosity of nearly 88 Model A clubs of both MAFCA and MARC, six Model A parts vendors, the Boards of Directors of both MAFCA and MARC, individuals and memorials.
Diezel J. Cook is 14 and lives in Temperance, Michigan. He is the grandson of Linda Cook. He restoration project is converting a speedster to a Pickup Truck. He is associated with many clubs including Arizona A’s, Western Lake Erie, Downriver A’s and Sweet 16 A’s.
Michael Callander is 21 and lives in Calgary, Alberta Canada. He is restoring a 1928 Roadster Pickup. Michael received his first award from this program when he was 12. He is a member of the Stampede City Model A Ford Club.
- Matthew Goodwin is 16 and lives in Prairieville, Louisiana and is a member of the Redstick Model A Ford Club. He is restoring at 1930 Pickup Truck.
- Luke Richards is 17 and lives in Medway, Massachusetts. He is a member of the Blackstone Valley Model A Club and is restoring a 1929 Pickup Truck
- Brooke Lindsay is 14 years old and lives in Vancouver, Washington. She is restoring a 1929 Pickup Truck and is a member of the Volcano A’s, Rogue Valley Model A Club and through her grandfather, associated with the Sis-Q-A’s.
- Garrett Haslett is 19 years old, lives in Oxford, Maine and is restoring a 1929 Pickup Truck. He is a member of the Pine Tree Chapter.
- Cameron Cox is 18 years old, an excellent mechanic who lives in Porterville, California and is restoring a 1930 roadster. He is member of the Happy Honkers and is associated through his grandfather with the Capitol A’s.
- Chandler and Colby Etheredge are two brothers who live in Ft. Worth, TX and are about to select a body style, either Roadster or Pickup Truck, for the Model A frame, engine and transmission that they possess. Chandler is 17 and Colby is 15. They are members of the Ft. Worth Model A Club
- David Sheehan Jr. is 18 years old, lives in Southwick, Massachusetts and is a member of the Connecticut Valley Working A’s. He is restoring a 1930 Tudor.
In 2014, nine recipients each received $2,000 of financial support. Congratulations to them.
Derek Ricci, Frenchtown, “Montana Big Sky A’s”.
John Grossheim, Cincinnati, Ohio. “Ohio Valley Region Model A Ford Club”.
Cai Brown, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. “Van-Isle A and B Ford Clubs”.
Michael Callander, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. “Stampede City Model A Club”.
Joseph Eckstrom, Columbia, South Carolina. “Palmetto A’s”.
Billy Brum, Raynham, Massachusetts. “MARC of Massachusetts”.
James Cheshire, Dallas, Texas. “Dallas Model A Ford Club”.
Nate Spears, Smithville, Missouri. “Northwest Missouri Model A Club”.
Mason Whittlesey, Keller, Texas. “Fort Worth Model A Club”.